Wednesday, September 14, 2011

P2V-7





Early in 1959 my tour of duty in Hawaii was completed. I was transferred to Patrol Squadron 9 located at Naval Air Station Alameda, CA. Before leaving Hawaii I quit packing parachutes and started working on gaseous oxygen systems. Liquid oxygen systems had not yet been introduced to large Naval aircraft. I was qualified and certified to remove, test and reinstall gaseous oxygen regulators. It was a very independent job that just required me to muster-in in the mornings, do my job and muster-out at the end of the day.

VP-9 had just transitioned from the P2V-5 series aircraft to the P2V-7. Each pilot and crew station had a gaseous oxygen regulator that required removal and testing at regularly scheduled intervals.

After my assignment in this squadron I attended six months of formal training where I became an Aviation Structural Mechanic, specializing in hydraulics/pneumatics and all the mechanical/electrical sources needed in support of those systems, which included all flight controls and utility/emergency systems. Landing gear and all associated equipment such as brake systems and wheels/tires. I worked in that field in some capacity for the rest of my Naval career.

This P2V-7 is on display at Naval Air Station Jacksonville, FL.

Clicking on the picture will enlarge it.

FastEagle

No comments:

Post a Comment